How to enroll a child in a new school: Documents needed

For a lot of parents enrolling their child in school might feel a bit overwhelming. It is important that anyone who wishes to enroll their kid in school plans ahead to ensure they have all the necessary vital records in order. Depending on the school, it is possible that some of documents required to enroll your child may vary. Things that might influence this are whether the school is public of private.

The requirements will likely be different if you are enrolling your kid for the first time or if you are transferring them from another school. With that said, there are also certain specific documents that all parents are expected to present, regardless of the state where you live in.

As a parent, to successfully enroll your children in a public school in the respective district area you will need to present quite a few documents. Even before you begin the process, you may first be asked to complete an enrollment application to determine the district school where your child will need to go to.

One of the main documents you will have to get your child’s birth certificate as you will need to proof the age and identity of your child. Additionally you will need proof of residency, immunization records, and other medical records. Furthermore, some schools might ask for a portfolio that showcases your child’s skills. Charter schools will certainly ask for the portfolio.

kid in school bus

What documents do you need to enroll your child in school?

In order to enroll your kid in a private school, you will need the same documents that are required at at public school. However, private schools will require teacher recommendations, an application, a formal placement assessment, and on occasion an interview with the parents and child.

The following are the most essential documents needed to enroll your kid at school:

  • A general application form
  • A certified copy of your child’s birth certificate
  • Emergency contact details of the parents or guardians
  • Proof of residency
  • Proof of guardianship and or custody
  • Record of immunizations

In case that you are not enrolling your kid for the first time, but you are transferring them to another school, you will need the above listed document as well as these:

  • Teacher recommendations
  • Former school records (grades)
  • Individualized Education Program (IEP) records

Before going there, it is a good idea to contact the school in advance to inquiry if they require additional documents. If you don’t have your child’s birth certificate, you can easily obtain it by completing an online application and it will be sent to you by mail. Nonetheless, even though you can get your birth certificate online, bear in mind it can take up to 10 business days or more before you get it.

Vital records offices offer rush service, to speed up the process and could deliver your child’s certified copy between 2 to 3 business days.

How do I know which school district should I enroll my child in?

If your child is going to attend to a public school, they are assigned to a specific school district based on where the child lives. If you don’t know which school district you should enroll your kid in, you can call your city’s Student Assignment Office. As a parent it is essential that you know that by law, your child is required to go to the school designated by their district.

You will need to visit the central registration office for your school district. This office addresses everything that is related to student enrollment. Here you will obtain information and it is where all documents are handled for the enrollment of your child. In the case that you are transferring your kid, this is where you will need to present all the documents.

When enrolling your kid or kids for school, you’ll have to complete a student registration form. You will need to provide some basic details including their full name, date of birth, and current address.

If it is a school transfer, provide the name of previous schools they’ve attended. Whenever completing a registration form, be sure to check that all details as accurate. Please also keep in mind that students who will be attending a new high school may also have to go through a medical exam.

Related:How to request a school transfer for a child