A birth certificate is an important document that includes personal identifiable information. A birth certificate can be used to legally prove your identity and is required to have other identification documents issued.
Make sure to always have an certified copy of your birth certificate on file at your home or office since you will need it in any of the following instances:
What is a Birth Certificate used for?
- Applying for a passport: A birth certificate is a requirement to have a passport book or a passport card issued. Additionally, cruise lines that do not require passengers to present their passport often ask for a birth certificate instead, in order to prove travelers’ identity. Check out the birth certifcates requirements for a passport application.
- Obtaining your driver's license: Most states require citizens to present a birth certificate when requesting or renewing their driver’s license to prove their identity and age.
- Getting a replacement Social Security Card: Whether you have lost, misplaced or had your social security card stolen, you will be asked to provide your birth certificate, along with another government issued identification document to prove your identity.
- Applying for government benefits: The social services department of most states require citizens applying for benefits to prove their identity, relationship, eligibility and age by supplying a birth certificate along with other documents.
- Enrolling in schools: Either a birth certificate or another form of government-issued identification document stating the child's identity and age is required to enroll minors in school. Some schools may request a social security card, passport, hospital birth record, adoption record, or other valid identification document
- Joining the military: A certified copy of your birth certificate and social security card are required forms of identification when enlisting in the military. A driver's license or other state-issued identification card, a green card or passport may also be required.
- Claiming pension or insurance benefits: Citizens claiming either of these are required to provide a copy of their birth certificate certified by the issuing agency along with their social security card in order to prove their identity, relationship, as well as their age
- For genealogy purposes: Individuals looking into learning more about their family tree, parents, and other genealogy endeavors will find the information they need by having a certified copy of their birth certificate issued
- International use: US nationals living abroad need to keep a certified copy of their birth certificate when they are getting married, obtaining a second nationality, having a new passport issued, amongst other reasons
- Court proceedings: Citizens may require a certified copy of their birth certificate in different circumstances such as marriage or having their gender changed in order to reflect their identity
These are the most importance instances where you may need a birth certificate for yourself or a family member. Our online platform will allow you to obtain your government-issued certified birth certificate replacement all in one place.