Form FS 240 definition

Form FS 240 is an important embassy issued vital record that proves the right to US citizenship if the child of a citizen or resident is born overseas. The FS 240 form is commonly referred to as a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).

A CRBA is an essential tool to certifying citizenship for your child if you register a birth abroad. This ensures the rights to United States citizenship for your newborn even if they do not have a US registered birth certificate and will allow them to obtain privileges such as:

  • US Passports or other forms of ID
  • Social Security and other governmental benefits
  • Residency in the US
  • The right to work in all 50 states

Form FS 240 replaced the formerly administered governmental forms FS 545 and DS 1350 as of 2011. These were previously issued by the State Department to foreign-born children whose parents were US citizens or residents.

Read on to find out more about how CRBAs are issued and how they can be obtained and how to replace your document if yours has been lost or stolen.

How to Get a CRBA

If you are a US citizen or non-citizen national and have recently had a child whilst living abroad, you will need to visit your nearest US embassy or consulate, in order to secure a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

All consulates and embassies around the world are able to provide this service. There is no maximum age that children can register for an FS 240 but parents are recommended to take this step as soon as possible after the birth has been registered in the foreign territory.

The only restriction to getting a CRBA is whether the parents have or had a right to US residency or held citizenship at the time of the child’s birth. In order to register for form FS 240, you must complete either:

  • Form DS 2029
  • Form DS 5507 (If the child was born out of wedlock to a father with US citizenship.)

In addition to the completed form you will also need to provide:

  • The child’s birth foreign-issued birth certificate
  • Two 2” x 2” photographs of the child
  • Proof of parents US citizenship (i.e. passport, birth certificate, green card, etc)
  • Proof of parents’ physical presence in the US (i.e. vaccination records, educational records, social security statements, etc)
  • Parents’ proof of identity
  • Pregnancy and birth records
  • Sufficient proof of a relationship between the parents

The application must then be submitted to the local consulate or embassy in the overseas territory. Once approved, the document will be signed and notarized by a consular officer, notary public, or another individual who is able to administer oaths.

How to Replace Form FS 240

If you need to replace or amend a CRBA you must be an eligible applicant. In order to fit the criteria to do this you must be either:

  • The individual registered on the vital record document (if over 18 years old)
  • The parent or legal guardian of the child that appears on the document
  • Another person with the correct written authorization

To request a replacement as an eligible candidate, you will need to pay a fee and submit a form of photo ID. You will also provide a notarized written request containing the following information:

  • The individual’s birth name
  • Any adoptive names that were later given
  • The individual’s place and date of birth
  • The person’s passport information
  • The names of the parents or legal guardians
  • The serial number of the lost FS 240 (if known)
  • The requester’s signature
  • Guardianship court order (legal guardians only)
  • The requester’s mailing address and contact information

Once these 3 items are gathered, they must then be mailed to the following address:

U.S. Department of State Passport Vital Records Section 44132 Mercure Cir. PO Box 1213 Sterling, VA 20166-1213

Read more: How do I get a copy of my Birth Certificate if born abroad?