Having your Social Security card stolen or losing it is not a pleasant experience. However, if you have lost your Social Security card, it is possible to replace it.
There is no charge to get a replacement social security card, also referred to as a SSN card. In your SSN card was lost or stolen you have the possibility to request a new card through an online system. In order to do so, you will have to fulfill the necessary requirements.
Table of contents
- Requirements for a Social Security Card
- Documents required for a Social Security Card replacement
- How to get a new Social Security Card?
- Can I replace my Social Security Card the same day?
Requirements for a Social Security Card
You can request a Social Security card online if you meet all of the following requirements:
- Are a U.S. citizen
- Age 18 years or older
- Have a U.S. mailing address
- Are not requesting a name change or other changes in your card
- Have a driver’s license or a state-issued identification card from one of the participating states. Some states don’t have this service yet.
To successfully get a Social Security Card replacement you can go directly to the Social Security Administration website, visit a local SSA office or request it by mail.
You should bear in mind that you are limited to three replacement cards per calendar year and 10 during your lifetime, though there are certain exceptions.
For example, if you have legally changed your name and need a replacement card, the first social security card issued with your new legal name would not count toward the 10 card limit.
If you cannot apply for a card online, you will need to provide a few documents to demonstrate your identity.
Documents required for a Social Security Card replacement
To successfully get a new social security card you will need to gather some essential original documents or certified copies of the originals, issued by the respective agency.
The documents you need to gather to obtain a Social Security Card must:
- Show proof of US citizenship: your U.S. birth certificate or a U.S. passport.
- Show proof of your age: a US birth certificate, US hospital birth record, US passport or religious record made before the age of 5 showing your date of birth are acceptable.
- Demonstrate your identity: a U.S. driver’s license, U.S. passport or employee state-issued ID card, school ID card, military card or health insurance card are adequate as proof of identity.
Please note that all of these documents must be up to date. The SSA does not accept expired documents. It will not accept receipts that show you had applied for these documents in the past, either.
How to get a new Social Security Card?
The easiest way to get a new Social Security Card is by applying online. In order to do so, applicants are required to provide the documents listed above.
Nevertheless, there are several ways to replace a Social Security Card:
- Online: by creating an SSA account and completing the online application for a Social Security Card replacement.
- In person: by visiting an SSA office and printing out the online application after completing it, or printing a blank SSN card application form and completing by hand.
Whether you choose to apply for a new Social Security Card online or in person, you will need to follow these simple steps:
- Complete the application for a new Social Security Card: this can be done online, and then printed, or the form can be downloaded and printed, then filled out by hand.
- To submit the application online, (you must meet the requirements stated above): you should follow the instructions on the official SSA website after completing the application form.
- To submit your application in person: after completing the form on the SSA website, you should be redirected to a page where you can find the closest SSA office in your area.
- Print out your Social Security Card application and submit it, along with the original documents, at a local SSA office.
If you do not comply with all the requirements to submit your Social Security replacement card online, you can still apply for your Social Security Card at a local SSA office and present all the required documents during your visit.
Social Security Card replacement for minors
If you need to replace a Social Security Card for your child. check the SSA page for specific instructions geared towards parents and guardians of underage children.
Replacing a Stolen Social Security Card
If your Social Security Card was stolen, make sure to:
- Contact the police department to file a report.
- Monitor your credit report to ensure you have not been a victim of identity fraud.
- Reach the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to get additional information.
How long does it take to get a replacement Social Security Card?
Requesting an SSN card online is rather quick and straightforward.
Nevertheless, once the application has been processed, it generally will take between 10 to 14 business days to receive a new Social Security Card, according to the SSA website,. Keep that in mind when applying for your SSN card and be sure to check all of your details before submitting the application.
Read more: What can I do if I lost all my IDs?
Can I replace my Social Security Card the same day?
Many citizens need to get their SSN card replaced as soon as possible. Others need the document so urgently that they wonder how to getareplacement social security card on the same day they file the application.
Although it is not currently possible to get a Social Security Card issued on the same day, there is an alternate solution.
The fastest way to geta Social Security Card is to:
- Fill out the application for an SSN card online
- Print and sign the application
- Take it to your local Social Security Office with the requirements listed above **** to file your request
- Request an urgent temporary printout of your Social Security Card at your local Social Security office right after filing your application for a replacement
For security reasons, the SSA does notallow the printing of temporary Social Security Cards online . While citizens may order a replacement card online, processing will take an estimated 10 business days.
If you are wondering what you need to get a same-day emergency replacement Social Security Card issued, you can simply provide the requirements listed above and let the agent at the SSA office know that you need a temporary printout of your document.
Please note that filling your form out online and taking it to the SSA office printed and signed may save you some time and help you obtain a quick emergency printout of your Social Security Card.
About Temporary Social Security Card Printouts
Getting a same-day Social Security Card is not possible. However, obtaining a temporary print out once your application has been filed is especially helpful if you are:
- Applying for a job
- Enrolling in school
- Taking out insurance
Please keep this Social Security emergency card safe as it is an especially sensitive document. This temporary printout will only work where card copies are accepted and be rendered null after 30 days.